Thursday, April 30, 2015

Monkey Madness (and a little glue surgery)

My second graders love this project. We have done this many ways. I have pics of a couple of ways in this post. We also made a mural out of mirrors with this project, which I will blog about later.


A little theoretical thinking behind this lesson:

I get so torn with the pedagogy and appropriateness of guided drawing projects. I showed the students photos of real monkeys and we talked about shapes to help them as they draw. However, I still worry that guided drawing is just a way for them to copy me. On the other hand, guided drawing is a great way to get them to work on proportions. So, its a catch-22 I guess. I'd love to read some theory or research on this topic. If anyone knows of any, please point me to it!

Process: 

The students practiced drawing on their own after the guided part. They made decisions about how to pose the arms and legs. I snuck a little movement into this by making them stand up and pose their own arms and legs in different ways. They were also encouraged to add their own details, such as hats or bows.

They traced with black glue (India Ink and Elmer's Glue All). After it dried, they cut it out and used chalk pastels to add color.

They cut out leaves and branches.

We've tried a lot of different backgrounds, on which I will elaborate below.

When they were ready to assemble all of their pieces, I asked them to try several different things until it looked pleasing to them.

(I always tell them that I trust them to make the decision here. I very rarely offer my opinion on this step. I want them to gain confidence in their ability to make artistic decisions.)

Advantages of this project:

This project is great for younger grades. In fact, I like it for second grade. It has so many aspects that hone in those fine motor skills. It has quite a bit of cutting and gluing which can be difficult to master without much practice. This project offers plenty of opportunity for practice.

Feedback: 

I asked the kids to write me a letter for feedback on this project after they had finished. I like to have them do this as much as possible because it helps me adjust instruction and better meet their needs. Plus, when there are 600 students, it is hard to get to talk with them all each week. This lets them communicate with me. I try to write them back as often as possible too. That lets them know that I do read what they write and it keeps the two-way communication going. I learn some interesting things by doing this. For instance, I learned from my students last year that they didn't know how to use the glue bottles. I had assumed they knew how and did not give explicit instruction for that step. So, this year I was able to teach "glue surgery." This is something that I learned from a teacher in a workshop once. I didn't invent it, but I don't know who did.

Glue Surgery:

"Glue Surgery" is where they get to be the doctor when the glue bottle is not working for them. They have to "open its mouth, pick the boogers out of its nose, check to see if its breathing, and pat it on the back." By open its mouth, I mean twist open the top. By "pick the boogers out of its nose," I mean remove the dried glue from the tip. Yes, we use the word "boogers." They think its hilarious and definitely don't forget to do it! By "check to see if its breathing," I mean squeezing it to see if air comes out. By "patting it on its back," I mean turning it so that the bottom of the bottle is up and the nozzle is down. They pat the bottom of the bottle to make the glue run to the nozzle. I tell them that they are not allowed to ask me about their glue until they have tried glue surgery. It cuts down on their coming to me for help and allows them to have a tool for solving their own problems. You should try this! It works!


Backgrounds:

These backgrounds were of lime green 11x16 construction paper. They used a spray bottle filled with liquid watercolor to spray the paper. This added a texture. I like the way they bent the branches to make it have a three-dimensional quality.













































































These backgrounds were just black 11x16 construction paper. The classroom teachers really bragged on the contrast of the colorful monkeys and the black background. This is how one classroom teacher displayed them outside her classroom door. Unfortunately, there was a timing issue and this class had to skip the black glue step. They outlined with permanent black marker instead.









































These classes used poster sized white paper to create a background with liquid water colors and a spray bottle. They loved doing this because they had to put their huge piece of paper on the floor and aim the spray at their paper. They thought it was cool to stand up and do it! The classroom teachers also displayed these in the hallway.



Don't forget to leave comments! I love to read them. Also, please feel free to share your own ideas, especially things that work for your classroom. Finally, don't forget to share any research on the theories behind guided drawing!

xoxo
amanda

1 comment:

  1. I love this project! Thank you for sharing! I will try something like this with my students!

    ReplyDelete